The Minnewaska Area School District is required by law to have an immunization record on file for every student.
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to supply this record to the school district at the start of each school year or whenever the student enters the school district.
Students may be excluded from attending school until proper documentation of immunizations has been submitted to the school by a parent/guardian.
A parent/guardian has the right to refuse immunizations for their child, but a notarized conscientious or medical exemption must be provided to the school.
Documentation of immunizations needed for students entering into kindergarten:
• 5 TDP or Tdap (Tetanus-Diphtheria-Acellular Pertussis)
• 4 Polio
• 2 MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella)
• Hepatitis B Series (3 separate shots in this series)
• 2 Varicella vaccinations or physician signed documentation of having had the chicken pox illness (now required for entry to kindergarten)
Documentation of immunizations needed for students entering into the 7th grade:
• 1 Meningitis
• Tdap Booster (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis)
• 2 Varicella Vaccinations or physician signed documentation of having had the chicken pox illness (for those on the catch-up schedule as now required for entry to kindergarten)
• All other immunizations as required for entry to kindergarten (see above list)
The school is required to track immunizations of its students in all grades and parents/guardians may be contacted when a student’s immunizations are not up to date by the legal definition. As your child receives immunizations, please inform the school health services at school so your child’s school record is kept current and up to date.
To determine if a child is “completely immunized” you can go to the following Minnesota Department of Health website and click on the "Are Your Kids Ready for School?" guide and determine if your child is up to date or needs any of the required immunizations.
Please contact Pope County Public Health at (320) 634-7822 or the Minnesota Department of Health at 1-877-676-5414 with any questions/concerns you may have regarding immunizations requirements.